Thursday, June 19, 2008

2/7/07 MLB - fan divided - some memories

MLB - fan divided - some memories

With spring training due to start up next week, and my son Jack's spring ball beginning shortly (player evaluation was two weeks ago, more later), I am getting the itch for some hardball. Ok, maybe the itch is just a guy thing but either way baseball is already back to begin the cycle all over again.

For those that don't know my history well enough, I grew up in the suburbs of Boston until I was 24. In 1975 my baseball passion began with the season the Sox had, the incredible rookie Fred Lynn and the amazing World Series. It was the first time I took notice of the baseball world and the memories are great.

In 1990 I moved out of New England to Georgia. The Braves were aweful and finished in last in 1990. That summer, I did "enjoy" going to Fulton County Stadium with co-workers and friends on the cheap. Tickets were cheap and plentiful. An average crowd that year was likely less than 7-8,000. Other than a few good years in the early 80's when Murph was MVP, the team had little success or little hope of success. All of that changed in 1991 as has been well documented.

While the Sox remained my favorite team, it was harder to keep up. Sure the internet was becoming more common, ESPN had a RedSox game on every week it seemed. I remember taking a TV into work (afternoon playoff games, geesh) to watch Clemens flame out against the A's (was it 1992 or 1993?). Trips home and to Fenway were an annual event. One memorable trip was with a bunch of co-workers, some of which had never been to Fenway. We flew up in the morning, went to a business man's special start, and flew back to GA that evening. Some of my friends will tell you that I have a motto of , "one sausage on the way in, one on the way out" is absolutely true when I go to Fenway. The street vendors and the sausage with onions and pepper are a must when going to the park. As I get older, the one on the way out just leads to too much trouble so lately it gets skipped.

As for the Braves, 1991 was obviously incredible to be a local fan. During the season I remember going to a couple games per month in the beginning of the season. Once it became August and it was obvious that the team had an actual chance to make it to the playoffs, it was insane at the park. I remember the day that they were putting playoff tickets on sale, I begged off work to go make the purchase. I bought for myself, my boss Dave, his wife and son. We bought the whole strip which, at the time, seemed excessive considering they sucked the year before. That first year, 1991, we had the most insane time at all the playoff games and series games. I had never before, and have never since experienced the energy that that stadium had pumping through it that year. Sure the stupid Chop became part of the experience, but for that one year, I give it a pass.

We had seats in the upper deck, absolutely straight away. Back then they used to schedule games every day. In the Series, the Braves had the three home games in the middle of the 7 and they were back to back to back on weeknights. OMG, were we and the entire city exhausted during that week. It was amazing. And they lost, lol.

1995 finally came and gave the Braves their one Series win. That was sweet and rewarding but here in Atlanta there has been great debate about the legacy of these Braves teams. One championship in the 14 straight (repeat after me, there was no 1994...) division titles just isn't enough. There should have been more. That aweful night in NY when Leyritz hit the homer off of Wohlers probably derailed what could have been a 3 in 4 year kind of run. It affected them mentally and honestly they never recovered.

As for the Sox, the historic losses of '75, '86 (never get over that one) seemed so distant. The Yankees rise back to power in the 90's was painful for any Sox fan. Finally, the arrival of Nomar and Pedro changed the Sox and the attitude of the fans in Boston. Something special was developing and by 2003 had really come together. The LCS loss to the Yankees in 2003 was as painful as '75 and '86 for me because the hated Yankees were the cause. It amazes me how Wakefield gets a pass on the homer to Boone. Almost any other pitcher becomes Calvin Schiraldi after that game.

The 2004 Series win was somewhat anti-climatic after disposing of the Yankees in the way they did in the LCS. The expectation was they could not pull it off and something terrible was going to happen. As a loyal sports fan (to any team) there are few team/seasons that can compare to the Sox 2004 campaign.

I know there are other baseball teams besides the RedSox, Braves and Yankees...right? There is a skinny left fielder from those 1991 memories that could not throw out a gimpy Sid Bream from right behind shortstop that still plays ball on one of those other teams...

A post will be down the road on Mr. Bonds. Just not today.

For any RedSox or Yankee fans out there, I visit daily a site run by two friends, one a Yankee fan and the other a Sox fan (yeah, right, friends...). Please stop by their site, they know a tremendous amount about these two franchises, all levels of minor leagues etc. and they also give each other crap from time to time. Their site is http://www.yankeesredsox.com/

Thats all for now, I will do predictions at a later date during spring training.

No comments:

Post a Comment