Thursday, June 19, 2008

6/6/08 NBA Finals - Game 1 and beyond

NBA finals - game 1 and beyond

Bob Ryan, Boston Globe icon and basketball expert, started his column after the game last night with a warning.

"Don't get cocky. Resist the urge to fire off that sarcastic e-mail to your old college roommate currently residing in Reseda. Just appreciate the fact that the championship of the world's greatest basketball league is once again being played in this town and that your Celtics are now one step closer to title No. 17."

It is one game, "Don't get cocky" is great advice. It is tough not to. Everybody outside of the 617 or 508 area codes has picked the Lakers in 5 or 6 games. When I was preparing to sit and watch the game I tried to ready myself for a game 1 upset just in case. I was ready with the "you need to win at least one road game in the finals anyway to ensure victory so losing one game at home is no big deal" speech.

On to the game:

The first quarter was a little boring, I thought the little interview with Phil Jackson was a good one, I liked the comment about how both teams were feeling it out and getting over any anxiety they might have had. That perfectly described the first quarter. Not a great quarter but easily forgotten in the magnitude of the series.

The first half I would describe as a win for the Celtics despite being down 5 at halftime. In my opinion, they did not play a great half, they rebounded for crap and all the loose balls went the Lakers way. As long as the lead did not expand right away in the 2nd half I was confident that it would be a close game and the Celtics could pull it out.

Nobody could have anticipated the injury/return of Pierce and the impact on the game. Saw a quote from "Phil the Manipulator" where he implied maybe it wasn't that bad an injury in the first place, almost suggesting some theatrics were being used. Gotta hand it to him, he can sound convincing no matter what rubbish comes out of his mouth.

In the 2nd half, the Celtics defense (Phil will say the Lakers just missed shots) and rebounding took over. One shot and heading the other way is the best way to win playoff games. All the loose balls that the Lakers were getting in the 1st half were now the Celtics.

I wish Garnett had even one of McHale's good low post moves to get to the rim. I tire of seeing him with his back to the basket fake to his right, go left and fade away. I know it is unstoppable but I would rather see him punish the defenders.

"Don't get cocky"

Tough to do. Besides Koby, and Pau, who are we supposed to fear? Who in the rotation has big game capability? Fischer will get 15+ with open looks because of double teams, not a problem. Odom? Let him get his from jump shots, not a problem. I have a long standing theory I just made up, if your rotation of players has more than one caucasian European player in it, you aren't tough enough to win a title.

Good pitching beats good hitting in baseball playoffs.

Good defense wins championships in the NBA.

2 comments:

  1. In response to: NBA finals - game 1 and beyond
    Comment from: RB [Visitor]
    Game two tonight. I’ve stayed up for every game so far in these playoff…. And it struck me… damn the NBA Playoffs take a long time to finish.
    So don’t get cocky? Your logic on the Lakers’ inequities aside, I’ve been holding my breath for the last month plus. I’ve forgotten how quick the games can turn. How quick 10 point leads become 8 point deficits. In short, I guess I forgot how much I like this game.
    It has been interesting to hear how Kobe Bryant is the best player since Jordan. I thought 2 weeks ago LeBron James was the best player since Jordan? I mean, I get it. Watching LeBron take about half a millisecond to get from the top of the key to the rim, or Kobe dribbling around in a sea of defenders and suddenly popping up a foot above anyone else … pretty sweet. But what about Garnett? This guy is the most solid, bring it every night, big player in the league. Maybe the only player left standing that has yet to have a bad game.
    About the Pierce injury. Phantom? No. A bit theatrical? Well… not as bad as Sir LeBron Olivier. Truth be told I think you and I have tweaked our knees worse mowing the lawn, but if I say that too loud up here, I may be missing my first born in the morning. If he’s visibly limping the rest of the way, I’m wrong.
    I think history shows Game 5 is the pivotal game. I don’t think this will be any different. The 2-3-2 format makes protecting home court and winning one on the road critical. Lose tonight and the Lakers get the advantage even more so than the Pistons did… for less than 48 hours it turned out. The Celtics haven’t been down in a series yet. This isn’t the time to start.
    I’m glad they have the team they do. Three different kinds of players leading the way... a young, energetic point… and could anything have been more enjoyable than watching Perkins go off for his career game?
    So tonight is the most important game of their lives… until the next most important game. Great stuff. I say Ray shines tonight. 29 points with 5 threes…. But don’t get cocky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to: NBA finals - game 1 and beyond
    Comment from: blmeanie [Member]
    Thanks for posting Rob. Good to hear that you enjoy the game again too. The NBA may have desired this matchup, possibly to the point where people think it was "destined" but for quality basketball with the outcomes of games not decided by players that get accolades primarily for "athleticism" but for basketball skills, this series is the best possible for the fans.


    Perkins was invisible in game 1, I hope it was the magnitude of it and getting his feet wet and comes out tonight in a big way. I like his game, built around being solid, no flash. If everything I read about Rondo and his work ethic is true, he could be outstanding in a couple of years. He is extremely frustrating at times but when he plays with a sense of urgency he makes defenders play him.

    Tonight could be Ray's night but I would venture a 30 point night out of KG, Ray may get 20+ too but I think they go to KG down the stretch (which means I think Pierce will be less than 100% and used as a decoy to some degree).

    ReplyDelete